Community: Self testing offered at the community by community women (HOPE ladies)
Number of women screened with HPV self-sampling
Follow up of HPV-positive women
Percentage of HPV-positive women with completed treatment
In Peru, cervical cancer is the leading cancer among women, killing one woman every 5 hours. The human papillomavirus (HPV) has been identified as the causal agent of cervical cancer.
HOPE aims to market the HPV self-testing (CareHPV®) to get commitment and promote a culture of cervical cancer prevention. The tests will be sold to high income women to create a sustainable platform to offer free/subsidized testing to women with less resources, involving training of community women (as the “HOPE ladies”).
The project is based in four key pillars:
1. The use of molecular HPV tests for screening which have better sensitivity than PAP tests and can be available at a relatively low cost
2. The use of self-collected vaginal samples, which offers an opportunity to increase screening coverage
3. Community women (HOPE ladies) teaching other women about cervical cancer and the HPV test. This HOPE ladies could benefit by providing/selling the HPV tests
4. Use of technology with the development of an informatic platform for the follow up of the distribution of molecular HPV screening tests, results, follow-up of women screened and the transmission of reminders through text messages (SMS) for clinic visits to women and an internet information platform and hot-line.
We aimed through HOPE to create the first public health social enterprise in Peru aiming to improve access to health care technologies for the communities, involving community women.
1. Women love self-sampling and getting results by SMS messages
2. It is feasible but challenging to develop a business model for the introduction of HPV testing in Peru, the most challenging thing is to assure the treatment of HPV positive women and that requires to work strengthening health systems.
3. Community women are incredible powerful to reach other women (and families) that otherwise may not show to a health center.